Saturday, March 15, 2014

Men plan, God laughs.


In motorcycling, as in life, it can sometimes be hard to tell whether your god is protecting you, or simply reminding you that joy is a mirage. 

That hill would be my white whale. Praying for a long dry fall, I realized nothing awesome was going to happen until I mastered the art of gravel road surfaces. It was an odd and joyless place to start motorcycling, but the options were ridiculous (I never seriously considered a trailer. Not for long, anyway).  “All idealism is mendacity in the face of what is necessary,” wrote Nietzsche. So, never getting out of second gear, I burbled up and down our laneway and ventured out on to the road, an hour here, an hour there, every chance I got, praying the neighbours weren’t paying attention. I played with rear wheel braking on the gravel hill, letting the engine help and feathering the clutch to keep the wheels turning. But mostly, I spent those first few hours trying to erase anxiety.  Three kilometers away, there is a small town with quiet, leafy streets where I can practice in earnest, but first I have to get there. Finally, by early November, I was growing confident enough to make a run for town and finally feel pavement under my wheels. “Next weekend,” I said to the little Suzuki as its warm engine ticked itself to sleep.

And then it snowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment